Construction to start on cycle circuit in September 2022!
A FACILITY FOR THE WHOLE COMMUNITY
In September 2022 construction will start on our 1km floodlit cycle circuit in Linlithgow. This will give everyone in West Lothian and beyond an opportunity to access a safe, traffic free cycling environment. With the announcement in September 2021 of £636,011 investment from sportscotland’s Cycling Facility Fund, we are delighted to have raised over £1.25m towards making this project a reality.
Carole Racionzer, Chair of LCDT, says “After all the hard work and millions of hours of volunteer time, we are so excited to finally realise our vision in Linlithgow. This has been a true partnership between so many organisations and we can’t wait to see the facility in action, a fantastic outcome for cycle-sport, for community development, for active travel and for cycling tourism.”
This is on the back of our successful Crowdfunder campaign in February 2020 which raised over £30,000.
Our three core values:
- Helping people of all ages and abilities improve their physical and mental health.
- A safe environment to increase cycling confidence.
- Creating a more sustainable, healthier, happier and better connected community.
What is it?
- A 1km, tarmac traffic-free circuit in Linlithgow.
- Made up of 4 loops that are fenced and floodlit for year-round use.
- Open for individual drop in sessions, club use and organised activities.
- We will work with West Lothian Council, Sport Scotland and Scottish Cycling to deliver a 1km, 4 loop circuit.
- Our goal is to help create a society where cycling is part of everyday life for everyone.
Three core user groups
Every day cycling
A cycling development officer will work across West Lothian to increase the number of people cycling for enjoyment and travel. The circuit will have a section with road markings for practising road skills.
Designed for easy access, the circuit will be suitable for all abilities, including people using adaptive cycles and handcycles.
Centrally located, it will develop sport and fitness in the region with links to clubs and schools
A facility for the whole community
The circuit’s weekly calendar will have ‘drop-in’ sessions for everyone and organised group activities for cyclists, runners, joggers, nordic skiers and in-line skaters