On the ground
- Giving people of all ages and abilities more opportunities to cycle.
- A joined-up approach to promote cycling for fun, health, sport and travel.
- More people regularly cycling in West Lothian.
A Community-led project
- Feasibility study and business plan helped develop the project.
- Developed with stakeholders’ support and close working with West Lothian Council and West Lothian Leisure.
- Fit with local and national strategies.
Where is it?
- Based in Scotland’s central belt, Linlithgow is within 50 miles of two thirds of Scotland’s population.
Who is behind the project?
- Linlithgow Community Development Trust is a community-led charity that has support from West Lothian Council, the community, local clubs and national sporting bodies.
- 25,000 visits per year.
- Weekly events from community activities to national championships
- Supported by 130 cycling clubs
- Within 65 miles and more than 7,000 cyclists.
- 100 new volunteers on the site.
Planning permission granted
- Detailed planning permission has been granted by West Lothian Council.
- Reference number: 0275/FUL/18).
Whether it’s used by children learning to ride a bike, people of all ages cycling for fun, people with disabilities mastering the joy of riding an adaptive bike or handcycle, or determined cyclists and paracyclists with their sights on sporting success, the West Lothian Cycle Circuit will champion a culture of cycling for generations to come.
The facility will enable high quality coaching, and host challenging and exciting race events for riders across Scotland and beyond.
We wish to engage communities across West Lothian to increase their levels of cycling, walking and wheeling for health and to decrease the number of high carbon journeys. Our new closed loop cycle circuit provides a unique opportunity to promote active travel and our events will complement sport user groups by ensuring the local community of Linlithgow and outlying SIMD areas are included.